Sunday 12 February 2012

Hollywood is a mess

I am not here to report on celebrity news/gossip, I think that niche is more then covered. But I would like to talk about a few things that have got me bothered.

Chris Brown is performing at the Grammys, and before I say anything else, this should matter to you. I am not suggesting that people do not deserve a second chance, I believe the opposite, but that second chance only comes after it has been shown that this person actually deserves a second chance. And I have had to ask what did Chris Brown do to deserve a second chance? Is it because he keeps showing signs of rage and anger management issues? Or is he just getting another chance based on record sales? This post on HelloGiggles sums up the issue perfectly.

Celebrities are not regular people, we all get that, we see that they are not held to the same rules. Chris Brown is just one of many celebrities that has been forgiven for "good behaviour". Look at my old pal Michael Vick, he played a great season and suddenly I start seeing assholes walking around wearing a Vick jersey. I guess they forgot about the dogs that he killed and tortured, the funny thing is those dogs still haven't forgotten.

I believe in second chances, I believe that people can change, but I don't believe that playing a great season of football or releasing a new album is grounds to forgive or forget.

One final note, I am a child of the 80s and owned a number of Whitney Houston albums in my day and it made me very sad to hear that she has passed away. It also makes me sad to think about all the talented actors and musicians that have died so young, and all because they lived or are living a lifestyle of total excess. Because no one ever says "no", because for many of them (ie Ms Lohan) their fame whoring parents are in large part to blame. I hope that Whitney's passing will be a wake up a call but sadly that likely won't be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment